I think giving people advice is very simple. It’s almost too easy to give people advice, and to say, “Okay, you have a problem? Here’s how to fix it.” I think your problem is not a lack of advice, it’s a lack of understanding. And before a lot of advice can be really useful, it’s good to understand why you need that advice.
– Merlin Mann
Join the club.
Is the “I Voted” sticker a badge of civic pride, or a symbol shielding us from judgement? When paired with this message, the answer is not so clear. At face value, “Join the club” can be read as a rallying cry urging others to participate in the democratic process. But as an idiom it is decidedly more pessimistic, and instead reads as a comment on the state of American politics. Both scenarios underscore research that says many people will vote because of social pressure.
It all boils down to this: Many of us vote so that we can tell everyone else we voted. And we don’t want to have to lie about it if we didn’t. – Kelsey Campbell-Dollaghan, “The Surprising Genius Of The ‘I Voted’ Sticker”
Typeface is Alergia Grotesk Wide Black. Original photograpy shot with an iPhone 6s.
Until we have a way to name and measure something it’s difficult to really understand it.
- A genius design trick to protect products from shipping damage
- With robots, is a life without work one we’d want to live?
- New research shows there’s one big change when cops wear cameras
- Alex Schleifer: Designing the Perfect In-House Partnerships
- 101 small ways you can improve your city
- What’s Left After the Logo Steals the Glory?
- Preserving the Quietest Places
- That vs. Which
- What reply-all emails feel like
- Researchers have finally discovered the key to naturally stripping sugar from all our foods
- Inside the mind of a master procrastinator
- Danny Meyer Just Single-Handedly Made the Apple Watch Relevant to the Hospitality Industry
- Designing Chat Interfaces
- Depero Futurista The Bolted Book – A New Facsimile
- The Age of the Wordless Logo
- Rob Janoff on his logo for Apple
- Successful projects begin with a great kickoff message.
- The Minimalist’s Guide To Productivity
- The Beginner’s Guide To Scrum And Agile Project Management
- What can a technologist do about climate change? (A personal view)
- Metafizzy – Delightful web UI
- Logo Pizza – Hot & Ready Logos for Sale
- Ikea Forever
- The Perfect Company on Quartz
- An airport parking lot is an improvised village
- The Links Between Creativity and Depression, and how the design industry can tackle mental health
- Jason Fried: Make “Creative Destruction” a Regular Part of Your Routine
- Norma Jeanne Maloney: From Truck Driver to Complete Creative Control
- Nick Cave’s gift: a skeleton key that unlocks the source of songwriting
- Why You Should Be Optimizing
- How To Eliminate Organizational Debt
- Bureau of Betterment – Flags of Portland Part 2
- Bitter Renter, an interactive guide for first-time renters in NYC
- Hybrid Urbanism, Strelka Institute final student projects 2015/16
- Send Thanks To
- Claudio Guglieri: The Secrets of Design Leadership
- Travelocity Destination Watcher Getting Started Guide
- The Best Moments From The North American Parkour Championship
- Louise Fili’s Newest NYC Subway Poster Will Make Your Mouth Water
- Visit Mordor on Threadless
- The adjective word order we all follow without realizing it
- Tattly PETTING ZOO SET by Christoph Niemann
- A Good Pan is Hard to Find